This desk was made by my step-dad’s dad, it’s really solid and a super surface for sewing on. Luckily for me, when I bought the house from him it was too heavy to move. Unfortunately, it was pretty ugly.
My solution? I spent a Sunday whipping it into shape! First I used my trusty Black and Decker mouse sander to scuff up the surface. Then I wiped off the dust with a damp cloth and let it dry.
I painted it with plain old Matt emulsion. I was planning on buying multiple tester pots as a whole tin would be far too much but I discovered that in large B&Qs where they have the Dulux paint mixing facility they can knock you up a 250ml tin for £3 – bargain! The desk took two of these pots in Sugared Lilac (it needed two coats).
I gave it a coat of clear spray varnish on the top to stop it from scuffing up to finish. I’m thinking about brushing it with some clear wood varnish as I’m not convinced it’s enough protection for me dragging the sewing machine about on it but it’ll depend on how much wear your piece of furniture will get as to whether that’s always necessary.
Just in case you were wondering, the rug is from Ikea – I knew as soon as I saw it that it was an essential for a sewing room. You can’t get any more appropriate than a rug with buttons it!